Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application
November 16, 2009 21:51 AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application #39259
kula_kay

Novice
Long time reader, first time poster!

I am trying to update AVG 8.5.425 to AVG 9 (both free edition) on my home computer. I have tried downloading the .exe file to install the new version direct from the AVG website and from download.com, and am having the same problem with both. Whenever I download the file, I have to right click on it and select unblock to allow me to access it (which is fine) but when I double click on it to start installation, it tells me that the file is not a valid win32 application.

Windows version - XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3 (32 bit)
AVG version and virus db version - 8.5.425 currently running. db 270.14.67/2506
Other antivirus software installed / previously uninstalled - none
Other protection software installed - none (other than the windows firewall)
The exact error message you are getting - 'c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\avg.exe is not a valid Win32 application'

I have not uninstalled AVG 8.5.425 before trying to install AVG 9 as I didn't on my computer at work and that's all working fine.

HELP!
November 17, 2009 09:27 Re: AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application #39439
Will_33

AVG fan
Maybe you have corrupted file downloaded, and windows cannot recognize it.
Try to download from avg site:

http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free
November 17, 2009 21:04 Re: AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application #39727
kula_kay

Novice
Tried clicking the link to download again, but the same thing happened.

Have now managed to download it though...

Instead of using Firefox to get to the website, I tried IE. The same thing happened, again! But then (and I'm not sure how) I managed to download the AVG download manager from download.com as a torrent file. I was then able to unblock the file and open it! Then used the download manager to download and install AVG 9! :innocent:

Thanks for the ... help? Hope this post can help some other people!