Folder AVG Forums » Other AVG products » Family Safety » Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF
March 9, 2012 18:22 Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF #195046
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
whoisneo

Novice
The user guide states:

"The Whole Home Filtering exclusive Whole Home option for routers filters any device that enters your home, without the need to install software. Devices like Wii’s, smartphones, laptops, Apple and others with browsers are all filtered for search and web sites."

and

"AVG Family Safety Whole Home Filtering (WHF) service provides content filtering of any network device behind a home network router that has been properly configured to interface with the AVG Family Safety filtering services."

I installed AVG Family Safety on a Windows 32-bit Vista notebook and manually set the DNS servers on an ASUS WL-520gU router. WHF appears to be working without issue on the notebook. However, the Internet is no longer accessible from an iPod Touch and Windows 32-bit XP PC (neither having Family Safety installed).

1) Is a local copy of Family Safety required on all network devices? I assume not from the above user guide description, and because, how would that work for the Wii? I also own, but have not tried an Android tablet and Xbox 360.

2) Out of curiosity, how do the DNS servers know that I am a registered Family Safety user? I don’t claim to understand DNS servers.

Thanks.
March 9, 2012 21:20 Re: Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF #195062
BIG AL 43

@ whoisneo

For your info....

Your posting will no doubt be monitored by the relevant AVG Team. This Announcement post http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=190509 now appears in the 'Information' forum area. Also please bear this in mind.. AVG support.. Weekends / Holidays.. Have a look @ the 1st part of this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=159703#post_159703 & the 2nd part of this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=188699#post_188699.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 10, 2012 16:54 Re: Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF #195103
whoisneo

Novice
Update..

The file I used to install Family Safety on the notebook was avg_fas_stf_all_2012_8.exe. I uninstalled it, and objectionable sites were no longer being blocked. Therefore, I assume WHF is not working. A pop-up message had told me that WHF was on, but my router needs manual configuration (which I thought I did when I entered your DNS servers, see router.jpg). I will include a screen capture if I see it again. Still not sure why the notebook has Internet access with this router setting and not my other devices.

I downloaded and installed the latest Family Safety from your site (avg_fas_stf_all_2012_16.exe). It immediately prompted me for and accepted my login details. However, I tried to open the program, and it would not accept them (see login.jpg). It accepted my password to uninstall this version, though.

I will install avg_fas_stf_all_2012_8.exe again and see if I can figure anything out.
router.jpglogin.jpg
March 12, 2012 11:07 Re: Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF #195179
nemethste

Administrator
Hello whoisneo,

Should you experience issues with un-installing AVG Family Safety in order to be able to update to newest version, please let us know. We will send you removal instructions via E-mail.

Thank you.
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
March 22, 2012 02:49 Re: Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF #195919
whoisneo

Novice
Thanks, but...

I can log in to your website.
I can install/uninstall AVG Family Safety 10.1.7 for Windows.
I can log in to AVG Family Safety 10.1.7 for Windows.
I can install/uninstall AVG Family Safety 10.2.0 for Windows.

I cannot log in to AVG Family Safety 10.2.0 for Windows.

Sounds similar to thread "New Family Safety Account Wont Allow Client Login But Web Login Works", but I learned nothing from that one. Please advise.

Once this is resolved, I'll get back to asking why my network devices do not like WHF.
March 22, 2012 05:51 Re: Properly Configuring Network Devices For WHF #195924
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello whoisneo,

If you are unable to login into AVG Family Safety only it may be caused by firewall software.

In order to analyze your issue please provide us with Msinfo output.

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support