Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall)
Page 1 of 2 12››
July 22, 2010 14:30 Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #99941
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Beautifulmind

Novice
While trying to uninstall AVG 8.5, I got this message when I clicked "Details":

"Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005"

Any idea how I can work around this to uninstall AVG 8.5 (Free)? I'm using Windows XP Professional and have Ad-Aware and ZoneAlarm installed.

Thanks!
July 22, 2010 14:54 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #99945
BIG AL 43

Have a look @ this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=3161 (1st Item).

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

July 22, 2010 15:30 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #99955
saligame

Novice
Hi 104guy,

this situation looks like the infection was already removed, but some startup registry key is pointing to this (currently not existing) file and cannot localize it.

Record to this file will be probably part of these registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

- you can right-click on mentioned key and choose "Export" to make a backup (for sure)
- then right-click on record with mentioned name in provided key and choose "Delete"
- restart computer

If the issue still persists or records not found, please provide us with Gmer Autostart scan output

Thank you
***************AVG Team

Dear Messrs,
I have a similar problem
if I follow this and delete will it create problems. How do I put back the files ?
SLN Rao
July 22, 2010 19:15 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100009
dusano123

Hello saligame,

Was there infection recently removed from your computer?
Please describe your issue with more details.

Deleting \Run entries will disable all software from booting up so I would not really recommend it unless you understand what are you doing.

If you are unsure of which Run entries to delete, please provide us with GMER Autostart output so we can advise you further.

Thanks
July 23, 2010 09:46 Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100061
Beautifulmind

Novice
Infection..

I'm not sure what Run entries are, so I couldn't say. But yes, an infection was likely removed from my computer recently--I was running ComboFix, but the process didn't complete for some reason (it got down to like 50 stages, and when I checked back later the screen was normal and ComboFix had mysteriously disappeared). I need to uninstall AVG in part to ensure it's disabled when I next run ComboFix. I disabled the Resident Shield while running it originally, but the other components weren't disabled, and I couldn't see a way to do so (double-clicking, etc didn't work on them).

Record to this file will be probably part of these registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

- you can right-click on mentioned key and choose "Export" to make a backup (for sure)
- then right-click on record with mentioned name in provided key and choose "Delete"
- restart computer

So I need to Export and then delete the logs? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you talk about "mentioned name in provided key"?

So how do I go about fixing this? I'm not very tech-literate, so this is all quite new to me.

Thanks for your speedy replies!
July 23, 2010 10:55 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100067
BIG AL 43

@ Beautifulmind

What happened with regard to the link in my 1st post? The posting by dusano123 actually applied to user saligame!

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

July 23, 2010 13:25 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100081
saligame

Novice
Dear Mr Dusano,
Thanks for the response.
I scanned with Spy bot search and destroy. It removed all the infections.
I will get back to you if the problem surfaces again
Thanks
SLN Rao
July 24, 2010 16:54 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100215
Beautifulmind

Novice
Confused..

@BigAL

This was the forum thread that you said was correct for the topic, wasn't it? You said "the thread has been moved" and it led here, so I posted here. I'm quite confused right now. So what's going on? How did this thread end up in a different thread? :|
July 24, 2010 17:35 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100225
BIG AL 43

@ Beautifulmind

You originally posted in the wrong forum area & it was relocated here in this correct 'AVG Installation/Uninstallation' forum area. Your error lines up with this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=3161 (1st Item). Have you checked out the content in full yet?. User saligame has actually hijacked your thread as stated with a similar problem.

Alan
July 25, 2010 11:30 Re: Uninstallation Error (Won't Let Me Uninstall) #100359
dusano123

Hello Beautifulmind,

Sorry for the confusion, my reply was meant for saligame as stated in my post.

If you are simply trying to uninstall AVG 8.5 please run avgremover linked in this thread:
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=44013

Thank you
Page 1 of 2 12››