Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » Anti-Virus Not Active
July 24, 2012 12:42 Anti-Virus Not Active #213200
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
BrowneDog

Novice
Microsoft Windows: XP Professional 5.1.2600 Sevice Pack 3 Build 2600
AVG version: 2012.0.2197
Virus db version: 2437/5144 (Saturday, 21 July 2012, 4:17AM)
Other antivirus software installed: Spybot - Search & Destroy
Anti-Virus Not Active - Error Message: 'Could not finish automatic state repair. We weren't able to fix one or more components'

---------------------
As I'm having problems re-installing AVG, I've sent the most recent AVG installation log file to your FTP site. I've tried re-installing with "avg_free_stb_all_2012_2195_free.exe" and "avg_free_stb_en_2011_1191_free.exe" both get the same error 0xE001C046.

---------------------
As the "Antivirus component is not active" I have also sent the following files to your FTP site:
1) all AVG logfiles.
2) MSinfo output.
3) A few recent dump files. (But they don't look too recent !)

FTP file is BrowneDog171.7z

---------------------
My problems began a few days ago ???, when I picked up a virus of some sort. The PC rebooted several times during the process of clearing it.
I then noticed that the 'Anti-Virus' component of AVG was not active and could not be started. I downloaded the latest version of AVG Free, but it will not install - with error 0xE001C046.
AVG webpage links do not appear to work, eg when the 'FIX' button fails the link "Go online to learn more about this issue", does not work - "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and then IE hangs. (IE7.0.5730.13)
AVG Updates still appear to be working !
I've also found that Spybot - Search & Destroy, has stopped functioning.

I hope you can help, I'll try and sit on my hands until I hear from you.
Regards, Noel.

P.S. - This thread didn't 'take' the first time I tried to post it, hopefully it does this time and my zip file is there for you.
July 25, 2012 21:52 Re: Anti-Virus Not Active #213333
Trekco

Novice
Helpful?..

Hi this is my first post, so i really hope this goes to the right place.
So yesterday i had the same problem you had. I had hoped someone would give me the answer from your thread(?) but since no one replied i thought i would attempt to help you. i managed to solve this problem yesterday by looking at various other sources. i found out that i may have malware on my computer. Spybot search and destroy would not open and i have read that this is caused by some types of malware. i then downloaded a malware removal program called malwarebyte. it promptly removed the infection and then i was able to fix both the issues with spybot and with AVG. to fix the problem you may need to reinstal AVG but im not certain. i really hope this helped and best of luck to you.
July 26, 2012 11:46 Re: Anti-Virus Not Active #213377
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello all,

Let us inform you that it is not recommended to use more security softwares at the same time. More information can be found here.

Then please refer to the following article for help on your issue:
AVG 2012 (incl. Previous Versions) Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
July 26, 2012 13:14 Re: Anti-Virus Not Active #213394
BrowneDog

Novice
Hello Trekco,
Thankyou very much for your reply, it didn't quite go as you suggested, but VERY GOOD RESULT just he same. :-).
I installed MalwareBytes. But like Spybot, it wouldn't run ! So I decided to reboot the PC, with MalwareBytes in the Startup folder.
Upon restart MalwareBytes started, but AVG's Identity Protection component found a virus 'IDP.Program.D1B0A5C0' - I quarantined this and restarted the PC.
Upon restart, found the same virus again in a different location, quarantined and restarted.
Upon restarting this time, both AVG and Spybot started and operated correctly.
Performed a full scan with AVG and then with Spybot, 'No Problems Found'

So once again Trekco, thanks again for your suggestion.
July 26, 2012 13:27 Re: Anti-Virus Not Active #213399
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello BrowneDog,

We are happy to see that your issue is resolved.

Thank you for posting back.

AVG Team
July 26, 2012 13:50 Re: Anti-Virus Not Active #213404
BrowneDog

Novice
Hello Pokornyz,
As you can see from my post above #213394, my laptop is back on the air with AVG and Spybot, both fully operational.
A friend of mine (he's in the IT trade) built a desktop PC for me several years ago with both AVG and Spybot installed. They've worked trouble free together for me over the years, so I installed them both on my laptop a few years ago as well.

Are you suggesting I should un-install one of them, and this would improve my protection level ? Each of the Anti-Virus programs has protected me from numerous threats over the years !

Also, did my ZIP file make it to your FTP site ?
I'd be interested if it showed anything of interest ?
I have not changed my level of protection, so could I be infected by the same virus again !
Are there settings I could/should change ?
I followed your guidlines and the information took many hours to gather and send, I'd hate for it to be wasted effort !

Regards, Noel.
July 26, 2012 15:14 Re: Anti-Virus Not Active #213416
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello BrowneDog,

Are you suggesting I should un-install one of them, and this would improve my protection level ?

I suggest you to at least disable Spybot's real-time scanner to improve performance and prevent possible issues. Spybot S&D has a feature called TeaTimer. If this is enabled it can affect the installation of AVG. The later versions of Spybot S&D have TeaTimer enabled by default. To disable TeaTimer you must switch it to the Advanced mode and go into the Resident area of the settings... To check bring up Spybot S&D->Mode->Advanced mode->Tools->(Double Click)Resident->(Disable)TeaTimer.

I'd be interested if it showed anything of interest ?

Unfortunately all provided dumps are too old.

I have not changed my level of protection, so could I be infected by the same virus again !

Unfortunately no security solution can provide with 100% detection rate.
If you have access to any suspicious files, we would like to kindly ask you to provide us with them as described here.

Thank you

EDIT BIG AL 43.. TeaTimer info added.

AVG Team