Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Update » [SOLVED] AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update
November 17, 2011 06:10 [SOLVED] AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181306
jeanbernhard

Novice
AVG Free keeps asking to reboot my system in order to finish installing the latest update. I rebooted the system numerous times but it did not do the trick. I even removed then re-installed AVG Free but it still does gives me the same message that I need to reboot the system to finish the update.

I recently read about some new generation of malware/virus that prevents anti-virus software from updating and recognizing it, could it be that situation here? Below I've attached the installs log. I run Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, ZoneAlarm. Thanks for your time, J

November 17, 2011 09:52 Re: AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181316
Murph_S13

Novice
My solution..

If you open AVG and click on any of the services (Update manager, Antivirus, LinkScanner, etc) and then choose Advanced settings (at the bottom of the window).

In advanced settings, click on Update and the first three options are:

If computer restart is required:
• require confirmation from user (seems to be selected by default angry )
o restart immediately
o complete at next computer restart

I changed to the third option and my problem has disappeared. smile
November 17, 2011 13:33 Re: AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181350
BIG AL 43

@ jeanbernhard

Have a look @ this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=176708#post_176708.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
November 17, 2011 18:24 Re: AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181414
jeanbernhard

Novice
Murph_S13 wrote
My solution..

If you open AVG and click on any of the services (Update manager, Antivirus, LinkScanner, etc) and then choose Advanced settings (at the bottom of the window).

In advanced settings, click on Update and the first three options are:

If computer restart is required:
• require confirmation from user (seems to be selected by default angry )
o restart immediately
o complete at next computer restart

I changed to the third option and my problem has disappeared. smile

Thank you Murph S13, I went into advanced settings and then checked the last of the three options ('complete at next restart'), then rebooted the computer... but it did not work: AVG still tells me to restart the computer for complete protection. So now on to the next suggestion.. undecided
November 17, 2011 18:34 Re: AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181421
Radhx

Novice
Try BIG AL's suggestion. Worked for me... at least for Restart issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Rad.
November 17, 2011 18:51 Re: AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181425
jeanbernhard

Novice
@BIG AL 43: It worked thank you. renaming the file worked, the computer does not ask me to reboot to finish installing updates.

But now I have another issue with AVG.. it won't activate the Identity Protection and gives me an error message saying "An error occurred when saving the configuration. An unexpected error in IDP component." this is when trying to save the new settings (activate identity protection). I will look on the boards on this one..
November 17, 2011 19:29 Re: AVG Free Keeps Asking To Reboot For Update #181431
BIG AL 43

jeanbernhard wrote
But now I have another issue with AVG..

This will now be covered here.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support