Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013
August 24, 2013 04:34 Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #232864
Maliwan

Novice
I recently purchased a new computer that came pre-installed with Window 7 Ultimate and Eset Nod32 Antivirus system. Having transferred all my data from my old computer running XP Windows I found that AVG would not install unless I removed Eset Nod 32 system. Meanwhile Eset discovered 72 Threats on my transferred data (which I did not remove) but having uninstalled Eset and using AVG it did not discover one single threat.
I then purchased SpyHunter and ran a scan which discovered 231 threats as opposed to nil on AVG. The threats ranged from Babylon Search/Toolbar (16 infections), Delta Search.com (9 infections), Ask Toolbar (27 infections), Hao123 by Baidu (9 infections), plus various infections by Statcounter, Toolbar.SmileysWeLove, Serving.sys, PUP.xVidly, Search.fbdownloader.com, DoubleClick etc. all adding up to 231 threats that AVG could not find. What therefore is the point in having AVG protection when it can miss entirely 231 infections?
It also appears that SpyHunter and AVG do not integrate very well on the new computer, which gives me a problem. Now please tell me what I should do when I have paid for an inferior product long term that cannot do its job – do I have to buy a new Antivirus system?

Peter Bainbridge

PS: Do I need your permission to post this content on the internet, or can I just go ahead and do it?
:angry:
August 24, 2013 09:47 Disapproved post #232868
BIG AL 43

The post has been evaluated as inappropriate and therefore it was disapproved.
August 24, 2013 09:47 Re: Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #232869
BIG AL 43

Maliwan wrote
I found that AVG would not install unless I removed Eset Nod 32 system

Are you absolutely sure that you totally removed Eset?.. Have a look @ this Stickie post link Before Installing AVG.

In order to analyze your issue please provide more information (AVG scan result export, Msinfo output, GMER scan result).

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
August 25, 2013 00:45 Re: Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #232891
Maliwan

Novice
Bad support..

I'm not surprised you moved this post, probably too embarrassing for you. You have given me instructions for AVG 2012 when I have AVG 2013. I bought SpyHunter for my wife's laptop and it came up with 71 infections to AVG's nil. Quote below from 'best antivirus picks': "Their antivirus protection is generally good, but not perfect.
We find their technical support inadequate and have suggestions for improvements to their user interface.
They have earned many certifications, and we agree AVG is a competitive product, but we find other products outperform".

Yes, I also find their technical support inadequate.
I shall change to a better product. :angry:
August 25, 2013 01:42 Re: Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #232893
Maliwan

Novice
Yes I am absolutely sure I removed Eset totally and from the registry. I have now totally removed (on a temporary basis) AVG to try a better product. :angry:
August 25, 2013 13:15 Re: Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #232896
BIG AL 43

Maliwan wrote
You have given me instructions for AVG 2012 when I have AVG 2013

The instructions also apply when using AVG 2013.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
August 25, 2013 15:33 Re: Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #232904
shadowsports

Novice
maliwan/peter,

Good decision to uninstall eset nod32. Like Panda, its junk. I'd like to bring up the following point in regards to your observations.

There are many differences between various anti-malware & anti-virus products. Not all threats are classified the same. SpyHunter is sort of a niche product in that it has to detect something in order to reinforce is marketing claims and purported value. Is everything it finds dangerous, probably not. Does it do a good job, in some cases yes. Is it better than AVG, NO that's a big negative.

Yes, the computer in question would appear to have several tracking cookies, toolbars, BHO's, etc installed and running. This is likely the result of poor choices on the users part. They have visited questionable websites, downloaded content, clicked yes when they probably should have said no, etc. This is the result and SpyHunter is there to tell you you're infected, compromised and see, see, see what we can do for you.

Is some of what they say then can do true. Sure, but it doesn't take the place of practicing safer browsing habits and making better choices to keep unwanted content off of a system.

Like I said earlier, SpyHunter is more of a niche product. It does a good job detecting and removing potentially unwanted programs and threats which compromise privacy at some level. No one wants to be tracked. No one wants to receive more target based advertising than what we have to already. SpyHunter is also effective at removing specific infections, from simple adware to Trojans. But, like all solutions it is not 100% effective. Neither is AVG, or Avast, Comodo or Avira... So think twice about dumping AVG. Its good software, that offers comprehensive protection to the bad stuff out there. I am not affiliated with AVG. :wink:

Removal Tools
............................................................................................................................
http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd-download AVG Rescue CD
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline Windows Defender Offline Scanner
http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso Kaspersky Rescue CD
http://www.gmer.net/ GMER
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/other_tools/ MalwareBytes
............................................................................................................................

My Rigs:
Sys1: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5, 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+,
Corsair TX850w PSU, EVGA GTX660 FTW Sig2, 2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot),
1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult. Case: HAF 922 / Win8 Pro x64

Sys2: P8Z77V-LE Plus, i5-3570k, 16GB RAM, GTX560Ti DS SC, Intel 520SSD...

NAS
QNAP TS-219P-II 4TB
DNS-323 4TB

Router
2x WNDR4500 v1 f/w 1.0.20
August 30, 2013 09:36 Re: Bad Transfer Of AVG 2013 #233125
Maliwan

Novice
Bad Transfer..

Thanks for your interest Subaru. However due to the somewhat poor support one gets fro AVG, I have ditched it in favour of VIPRE which, after a few days use is proving its worth. I have transferred SpyHunter to my wife's computer which continues to run AVG but I shall change that to VIPRE also when the license expires.

Thanks anyway - you were more helpful than AVG