Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » Possible Conflicts With Ad-Aware/Spybot, etc
September 8, 2009 11:33 Possible Conflicts With Ad-Aware/Spybot, etc #16511
PAGE Consult

Novice
Windows XP Professional SP2
AVG 8.5.409
vdb: 270.13.83/2352

Norton AV originally installed but removed when AVG installed.

Ad-Aware Free Anniversary Edition installed

Outpost Firewall Free 2009 installed

Question: As AVG Free now has Anti-Spyware and is 'resident' is there likely to be any conflict with programs such as Ad-Aware AE which now has Ad-Watch Live in the free edition and is thus 'resident'? A similar question arises, I think, with Spybot which has 'resident' capabilities (?) although I am not currently using this.

Are there potential problems with running multiple 'resident' spyware programs, or is it the more the merrier/better. If there is potential for conflict, I presume it would be simplest to leave AVG Anti-Spyware active and disable Ad-Aware AE Ad-Watch Live (and similarly for Spybot if loaded) and just run these 'additional' programs as an occasional check?

September 8, 2009 13:18 Re: Possible Conflicts With Ad-Aware/Spybot, etc #16519
BIG AL 43

OK, 1st things 1st.... Quote "Norton AV originally installed".... The normal methods that Windows uses to uninstall programs with seldom work well enough for antivirus programs which means that there are leftovers that can later affect a system if these are left behind without properly cleaning these up. Usually issues do not show up until long after the uninstallation was first done, sometimes it's even years later. The companies that make the antivirus programs have known of this issue for a long time which is why most also have created uninstall/cleanup utilities to address this problem.

We have links to many of these utils listed in this Announcement post Before Installing AVG 8.5 Free Edition. Please run the proper uninstall/cleanup utility for the antivirus that you had installed previously on your computer to ensure that you have no issues or to address issues you may now be experiencing.

Ad-Aware Free Anniversary Edition.... There have been issues but mainly during AVG install.... See this FAQ 1675:AVG Free installation fails on starting avgtdi?.sys service.

Ad-Aware/Spybot.... Again during AVG install there can be issues.... Spybot S&D has a feature called TeaTimer & AdAware has Adwatch. If these are enabled it can affect the installation of AVG. We always recommend temporarily disabling these before installing....& restart the computer twice before re-enabling.

You can only really experiment with your particular system to see if there are any conflicts.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
September 8, 2009 15:13 Re: Possible Conflicts With Ad-Aware/Spybot, etc #16527
PAGE Consult

Novice
Thanks for that. I did use the Norton uninstaller at the time as I was prompted to do so by the AVG 8.5 installer.

I haven't actually encountered any problems (yet!) - either installing or in use. What I was asking was whether it was sensible/OK to have 2 anti-spyware programs (AVG Anti-Spyware and Ad Aware Ad-Watch) running in the background at the same time or whether they might conflict with each other (or with Spybot Tea Timer if I had that running)?

Your link to the AVG installer page indicates that there shouldn't be any conflicts between AS and AV programs because they operate in totally different ways - but could AS programs conflict with each other and cause problems (crashes/slow performance)? ie. would it it be best to have just one running in the background and run the others as and when? - or is it just a case of suck it and see?
September 9, 2009 00:28 Re: Possible Conflicts With Ad-Aware/Spybot, etc #16619
rdsok

No matter what type of protection, antivirus, antispyware, process monitor etc... the more you have the more they will all impact performance, it's simple logic.

We are also already aware that there are conflicts with multiple antivirus and firewalls... but with antispyware the ( technical ) verdict is still out but there is a possibility even though there is no known issues with the ones you listed. Because of the performance issues alone, I don't recommend to my clients to run more than one active protection at a time but the recommendation isn't because of any known technical conflict.

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

September 9, 2009 07:45 Re: Possible Conflicts With Ad-Aware/Spybot, etc #16647
PAGE Consult

Novice
Thank you - that's just what I wanted to know.

:smile: