Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » Getting Rid Of Global Visitor Survey
December 10, 2012 01:17 Getting Rid Of Global Visitor Survey #221481
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Auziali

Novice
I am running Vista with AVG2011 last updated on 9 Dec 2012.
Recently my computer randomly started displaying a page that offers prizes if I fill out a survey. In addition when browsing the net at apparently random intervals a toolbar appears at the bottom of the page offering search services and advertisements for various companies.
A search of the net seems to indicate that my computer is probably infected with a virus/trojan called "Global Visitor Survey" or similar.
Can anyone tell me if AVG can get rid of this thing and how to do it.
December 10, 2012 20:51 Re: Getting Rid Of Global Visitor Survey #221512
BrianM12

Novice
Hi,

Follow Step 1 and 2 in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

If you have any questions about the instructions, just ask. Let me know if this helps you.

Brian
December 10, 2012 23:47 Re: Getting Rid Of Global Visitor Survey #221515
BIG AL 43

@ Auziali

If the issue should persist, Please provide more information (AVG scan result export, Msinfo output, GMER scan results) for closer analysis.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 15, 2012 07:51 Re: Getting Rid Of Global Visitor Survey #221684
Auziali

Novice
BrianM12 wrote
Hi,

Follow Step 1 and 2 in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

If you have any questions about the instructions, just ask. Let me know if this helps you.

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for your help.

The problem is largly resolved.

Unfortunatley the Malawarebytes program that remained after it had cleaned away the Global Visitor Survey crashed Windows. I had to start up in Safe Mode and uninstall Malawarebytes to get Windows to run.

I have been running for 24 hours now without getting the Survey screen popping up. However I still have a banner that seems to be comming from Topic Torch that I originally thought was part of Global Visitor Survey. I have now discovered that it is a different entity. I have tried to uninstall the Yontoo file (which apparently runs Topic Torch) via Vista but the uninstall program reports a "Program initialization Error" and wont run.

Do you have any ideas on this one.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Regards

Alistair
December 15, 2012 07:58 Disapproved post #221685
Auziali

Novice
The post has been evaluated as inappropriate and therefore it was disapproved.