Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » srp.freecause.com
July 24, 2012 21:53 srp.freecause.com #213248
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
PN169

Novice
srp.freecause.com has invaded my machine. It has killed internet access and prevents AVG from running.
July 25, 2012 14:45 Re: srp.freecause.com #213296
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello PN169,

Please provide us with more information (AVG scan result export, Msinfo output, GMER scan results) regarding this issue.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support

July 26, 2012 06:19 Re: srp.freecause.com #213351
PN169

Novice
AVG Scan..

I can't run an AVG scan because it is grayed out. Is there some other way to start it?
July 26, 2012 07:25 Re: srp.freecause.com #213356
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello PN169,

In this case please run the Full Computer Scan In Safe Mode. You may skip this step if AVG is not working even in the safe mode.

Thank you.

AVG Team

August 6, 2012 09:47 Re: srp.freecause.com #213967
ZoeRPM

Novice
_malchys_ wrote
Hello PN169,

Please provide us with more information (AVG scan result export, Msinfo output, GMER scan results) regarding this issue.

Thank you.

I have the same problem. When I switch on my Internet browser, my home page is meant to be Nectar.com but instead I get search.freecause.com, which Plus Net tell me is a virus. This morning I could not get on to the Internet at all but managed via AVG after calling Plus Net. They told me to run a complete scan, which I did. This came up as clear (no threats). I can't find a tool on the AVG site to remove Freecause.
August 6, 2012 11:18 Re: srp.freecause.com #213979
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello ZoeRPM,

Please be informed that we have no dedicated tool for removing mentioned threat. We recommend following this guide to uninstall the freecause toolbar and FAQ 3022 to check your internet connection settings. What is the situation now?

We would like to request the Msinfo output and GMER scan results if the issue persists.

Thank you.

AVG Team
December 20, 2012 14:43 Re: srp.freecause.com #221915
sowuzzup

Novice
1st re-direct..

i just wanted to say i was re-directed to srp.freecause.com after clicking on a social game on facebook.
1st thing i did was google that web site on another tab to find out what was
going on, and seeing the horror stories i ran a Power Eraser which did a scan and restarted my computer with that site gone.....
i had not opened or clicked on that site knowing from previous experience that one click on my end would/could allow something to attach itself and infect my computer....so i think i may have avoided that pitfall tonight and saved myself a lot of grief.
i think that's the trick..if it pops into your browser, do not click on it even once or it's got ya. ...just sayin' smile
December 20, 2012 15:10 Re: srp.freecause.com #221918
sowuzzup

Novice
freecause toolbar..

oh, earlier tonight i downloaded the AirMiles tool bar ...after reviewing the email from AirMiles and seeing the comments here about the toolbar, i thought this might be helpful to some, fyi.

Q. How do I install the Toolbar?
A. Installing the Toolbar is quick and easy. Go to www.airmilesshops.ca/Toolbar and click on the download button. You'll be guided through a few simple steps and in just moments your download will be complete.

Q. Will the Toolbar install spyware, adware or malware on my computer?
A. No. The Toolbar is free from spyware, adware and malware.

Q. Who is FreeCause?
A. FreeCause is a private company we have partnered with to bring you the AIR MILES® Toolbar.

Q. Why am I accepting a FreeCause End User License Agreement (EULA) when downloading the AIR MILES® Toolbar?
A. Because AIR MILES® has partnered with FreeCause, a private company, to bring you the Toolbar, it's necessary that you accept their End User License Agreement.

Q. What operating systems and browsers is the Toolbar compatible with?
A. The Toolbar works with Internet Explorer and Firefox on Windows. On Macintosh and Linux operating systems, the Toolbar works with Firefox.

Q. Does it work in Safari/Opera/Chrome?
A. Unfortunately, Safari and Opera do not allow high-functionality add-ons like the Toolbar. Mac users wanting to download the Toolbar will need to use it with Firefox. Google Chrome may offer the same functionality in Firefox in the future, but currently add-ons are not supported there either.

Q. During installation it said the Toolbar was corrupt.
A. Typically, if the browser relays a "corrupt installation" message it means your Antivirus software is blocking the Toolbar from setting the needed cookies for registration. To solve the problem, turn off all Antivirus software during installation and ensure the domain "freecause.com" is allowed within the settings.

Q. My Toolbar doesn't show up (in IE).
A. Make sure that 3rd party extensions are also enabled. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > make sure the box next to "Enable third-party browser extensions*" is still checked. That should allow the Toolbar to function.

Q. Can I download the AIR MILES® Toolbar even if I already have a different toolbar installed?
A. Yes. It is possible for you to have multiple toolbars on the same computer.

Q. It won't let me install the Toolbar!
A. If you are unable to install the Toolbar and are receiving strange errors, you may not have administrator privileges on your computer. Be sure that you are on the computers' administrator account when downloading the Toolbar. If you are still having problems, you may need to contact the computers' administrator and have them install the Toolbar.

Q. How can I move the Toolbar to a different location?
A. If you are using Internet Explorer 6.0, you must first unlock the Toolbar before you can move it. To do this, right click on the Toolbar and deselect the "Lock the Toolbars" option.

On all other browsers, you can change the location of the Toolbar by clicking and dragging the vertical separator bar to the left of the icon and then placing the Toolbar in your new location. This allows you to place two (or more) toolbars on the same line, which conserves space in your browser window.

Note: You can only move the Toolbar to locations at the top of your browser window. Toolbars cannot be placed on the side or the bottom of the browser window.

Q. How do I uninstall?
A. To uninstall, follow these steps: On the Toolbar beside the AIR MILES® logo you'll find a drop down menu arrow. Select Toolbar Admin then select 'uninstall'.

If that doesn't work, you can also uninstall as follows:
To uninstall in Internet Explorer: Go to start > Program files > Toolbar > Uninstall
To uninstall in Firefox: Go to Tools > Add-ons > Select the Toolbar and press uninstall.