Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled
Page 1 of 2 12››
August 23, 2009 00:00 My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13669
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
ZiggyQ

Novice
I have a 56 K modem and I spent much of today downloading the free version of AVG. It downloaded a program onto my computer first, and then when I double clicked on that program it started downloading a much larger program from the internet. After the download was complete, I started the installation program, and just then my mother asked me to drive her to the grocery store. I clicked the "Exit" button on the installation program and shut the computer off. I figured I'd be able to find the installation program later on the Grisoft folder on my hard drive.

Well, I return home and find that there is no Grisoft folder on my hard drive. I double click on the first AVG program hoping that downloads the large program, and it starts re-downloading the huge program again. I use the Windows XP Pro "Search" function to search for files that were created today and came up with an 11.52 megabyte file called "Software", but Windows can't open or run it because it doesn't have an extension and Windows doesn't know what program created it. So, I figure I've got no choice. I go to Control Panel to remove the program, and find out there's no AVG programe to remove in the list. I'm presuming it's not in the list because it never actually got installed.

So, here I am with the AVG 8.5 free program fully loaded onto my hard drives somewhere, but I can't install it cuz I can't find it. And, I can't uninstall it either cuz it's not in the Add/Remove programs list in Control panel.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
August 23, 2009 01:09 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13677
rdsok

AVG is now named ( and has been for a very long time ) AVG Technologies... you won't find a folder named Grisoft since that is no longer their name.

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

August 23, 2009 02:04 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13685
ZiggyQ

Novice
Rdsoc: Thanks for responding.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, SP3 on a Pentium III computer.

I have no other antivirus software installed, but I do have the Windows fire wall turned on.

I'm quite sure that I downloaded AVG free version 8.5.406

I was at this web page:

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

and clicked the green down arrow to download the program entitled:

avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe

which is an 828.82 KB file from cnettech-11.vo.llnwd.net

When that avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe file finished downloading, I double clicked on it, and it in turn started downloading other files from the internet. What directory those files were downloaded into, I don't know. The only thing I can find on my hard drive that was downloaded today is a file called: "AVGANTIVIRUS.EXE-0C7785D7.pf" that was installed into the Windows XP "Prefetch" folder.

But, if I double click on that file, it wants me to specify a program to open it in cuz Windows doesn't recognize the ".pf" extension. And, it's only a 14 KB file. I took hours for my 56K modem to download all the files, so I downloaded much more than that one file.

I'm concerned that if I can't either load the software or remove the program, these files are just going to be taking up space on my hard drive from now on. I'm concerned that without your help, the only way I could get rid of these files is to format the hard drive and reload all my programs and personal files.
August 23, 2009 02:43 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13689
rdsok

Please follow the instructions found in this AVG 8.x Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions

August 23, 2009 10:14 Here #13729
Phaxo

Novice
http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801

Try downloading this installation for AVG, I downloaded that and AVG works fine to me,
Listen,
The problem might caused because you exitted before it finished downloading, And so, The folder AVG Technologies wasn't created.

My Signature Link :
http://www.uploadfileyou.com/files/eglbg8g5hvxyp5cj8rd2.png
I tried to make it an IMG BB Code but there's no way to do that, If anyone finds a way please tell me.
August 23, 2009 20:18 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13835
BIG AL 43

File avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe.... Have a look @ this link http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=12575#post_12575.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan

August 24, 2009 00:33 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13883
ZiggyQ

Novice
A heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who responded.

Big Al 43:

I used the info in your link to find the AVG setup program at this path in my computer:

C:\Documents & Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\AVG Download Manager\packages\35\setup.exe

When I clicked on the setup.exe program, the setup program started installing the free version of AVG 8.5. Everything went well until I got a dialogue box saying:

AVG Free 8.5 build 409 (8/6/2009)
Installation Package
In order to install or repair some components installer needs the installation package.
Chose the folder in which the installation package is located.
Click the Browse buttong for exploring the folders.

When I clicked the Browse button in this dialogue box, it was teleported to my "My Documents" folder and the dialogue box was set up to look for only files with the extension ".dat". There are 5 files in the folder called "AVG Download Manager" and another 6 files in the folder called "35" with that same .dat extension.

I tried navigating to several of them, including the file named "setup.dat" in the folder called "35" and in every case I got another dialogue box which said:

Setup error
File package file open failed.
Invalid file header id.

Is this a common installation issue?
Do you know which .dat file the installer is looking for?
I would try all of them, but I have to go through the installation process for each one, and that's very time consuming.

AVG Antivirus is still not showing up on my Control Panel, Add & Remove Programs list, so I guess I haven't gone too far into the installation process that I couldn't just delete the AVG Download Manager folder and redownload the whole thing.
But, if I did that, would I not run into the same "Hey, point me to where the .dat installation package is." problem again?

If I can't get the files I've already got installed, I can at least remove those files without having to reformat my hard drive.

Thanks for everyone's help in this matter.
August 24, 2009 03:21 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #13897
rdsok

First remember that you interupted the normal process that would have taken place had you not stopped it... This means that it is hard to say at what state or point it got to. So let's not worry about that... consider it water under the bridge and just start over instead.

I would recommend that you follow the instructions I provided... It should clear up any actual installation that may have started... and it also links to the full installation file instead of the download manager setup file that you originally used.

I would suggest one additional thing if you can... download the file on someones system that has broadband instead and copy it to a CD,DVD or USB disk that you can then use on your own system.

August 25, 2009 03:55 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #14069
ZiggyQ

Novice
Rdsok:

Yeah, it's prolly best to chalk this one up to experience and start from scratch. My sister has a high speed internet connection at her house, and I can download stuff there, but I can foresee at least one problem trying to do that.

You see, and if I recall correctly, when I was downloading that first file called:

"avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe"

it asked me where and under what name I wanted to save that file. That was great cuz I knew exactly where to find it when the download was finished. However, when I double clicked on the icon for that file, I don't remember it asking me where I wanted to download anything to. It just started downloading files. That's the reason I couldn't find those downloaded files afterwards. It spent hours downloading files into what we now know was the Temp directory, and then immediately started the installation program.

So, I can download that "avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe" file onto a CD no problem, but at what point could I intervene in the process and somehow tell that program to download files onto my CD, and not into that \Temp\AVGDownloadManager directory like last time? That is, how do I prevent it from putting it's AVGDownloadManager folder in the Temp directory of my sister's computer?

Would downloading off the AVG site instead of Cnet make any difference in that regard?

But, since those downloaded files aren't doing any good on my computer, I may as well delete them. Just to be sure I know the game plan, I would:

A) Run the AVGremover_en.exe program to remove as much of the program that was installed as possible, and then

B) Delete that AVGDownloadManager folder from my Temp directory to free up the space it's taking.

and, maybe defragment my hard drive just to consolidate all the occupied and available space on it.

I won't run the AVGremover program or delete the AVGDownloadManager folder until I hear back from someone confirming that's about the best (or only) way to get those AVG files off my system.

Also, I only downloaded AVG 8.5 once, so if that "avg_free_stb_all_8_32_cnet.exe" file does ask where to download it's files to, can you advise me of where and when to expect that question.

Thanks for everyone's help in this matter.
August 25, 2009 04:39 Re: My AVG 8.5 Free Version Is Neither Installed Nor Uninstalled #14071
rdsok

Don't get the same file... get the full one as I said...

The Temp files will be removed when you run Disk Cleanup or a similar utility such as CCleaner...

I have never and won't ever use the download manager version you used... the full installation file is always the most reliable

Page 1 of 2 12››